Near North Vancouver in Greater Vancouver Regional District, British Columbia — Canada’s West Coast
St. Paul's Church
The oldest surviving mission church in the Vancouver area has long been a focal point of the Mission Reserve. Chief Snat, a renowned Squamish leader, assisted by the Oblate missionaries, was largely responsible for building the first church here in 1868 and for securing this land as a reserve in the following year. In 1884 the early chapel was replaced by the present structure and in 1910 corner towers and transepts were added. The church is named in tribute to Bishop Paul Durieu, a distinguished Oblate missionary who lived and worked among the Squamish people.
Cette église, la plus ancienne de la région de Vancouver, fut longtemps le coeur et l’âme de la Mission Reserve. C’est au chef squamish Snat, avec l’aide des missionaire Oblats, que reviennent la construction de une premičre église en 1868 et la crčation de une rčserve l'annče suivante. En 1884, les Squamish remplacerént le vieille église par celle-ci, a la-quelle on ajouta en 1910 des tours d'angle et un transept. Elle reçu le patronyme de Saint-Paul en l'honneur de Monseignor Paul Durieu, qui veçut et oeuvra comme missionaire au sein de la mission squamish.
Tíwa ye’wán syú7yuxwa kw’enmaylháwtxw ch’it tla Vancouver. Ta Snat na wa wenáxwstem, na ye’wán’ kwelkwálwen , tkwi kw’enmaylhá’wtxw
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Government of Canada• Gouvernement du Canada
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 49° 18.949′ N, 123° 5.293′ W. Marker is near North Vancouver, British Columbia, in Greater Vancouver Regional District. Marker is on Esplanade West 0.1 kilometers south of Mission Road, on the left when traveling south. The Church is located on the Squamish Nation Mission Reserve, immediately adjacent to the City of North Vancouver. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 426 Esplanade West, North Vancouver, British Columbia V7M 1A7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pacific Great Eastern Railway Station (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Nine O'Clock Gun (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); "Gassy Jack" (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); The Old MapleSadie Marks (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Meet You Under the Clock (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Carnegie Library (approx. 3.9 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,639 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 1, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.