Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. John's Episcopal Church
In 1890, 75 members of St. Paul's Church (founded 1867) in Old Decatur, split away from the church over the location of a new building. Newcomers to the parish and city wanted to build it in New Decatur/Albany, near their homes. Longtime St. Paul's members preferred the Old Decatur location. So a second parish, St. John's, was established and admitted to the Diocese of Alabama in 1891. The women of the parish formed the Guild of St. John's Church in 1891, and worked tirelessly through the decades to meet the needs of the new congregation. The all-male vestry set the direction of the church, but regularly requested monetary and volunteer assistance from the Guild, which raised money by making and selling homemade ice cream, cakes, and aprons. The Guild is credited with keeping St. John's afloat as the new church struggled financially. The first woman was elected to the vestry in 1973.
(continued on the other side)
(continued from the other side)
On February 19, 1893, the growing congregation dedicated its first church, a Gothic-style wooden edifice erected for less than $2,000. This building,
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1868.
Location. 34° 36.019′ N, 86° 59.038′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Gordon Drive, SE. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Gordon Dr SE Decatur Al 35601, Decatur AL 35601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Decatur Daily (approx. Ό mile away); Albany (approx. Beauty and Hope (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carolyn Cortner Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); Social and Cultural Opportunities (approx. 0.4 miles away); Health and Civic Welfare (approx. 0.4 miles away); Recreation and Refreshment (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morgan County Confederate Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 850 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.