Schenectady in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Queen's Fort
Built in 1705, as a triple stockade. Rebuilt in 1735, on heavy hewn timbers set on stone wall ten feet high. Fort was one hundred feet square, with blockhouse at each corner, twenty four feet square and twenty feet high. Was capable of holding three hundred men. Entered by a large swinging gate, raised like a drawbridge. Six cannon commanded the approaches from all sides. One square within, was used as a parade and drill ground. Taken down during the revolutionary war and timbers used in frame of soldier's barrack, at corner of Union and Lafayette Streets.
March 26, 1898.
Erected 1898 by Schenectady Common Council.
Location. 42° 49.098′ N, 73° 56.746′ W. Marker is in Schenectady, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and North Ferry Street, in the median on Front Street. This marker is at the foot of the statue known as "Lawrence the Indian", in a gated enclosure Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schenectady NY 12305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph C. Yates (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. George's Church 1762 (about 300 feet away); Ride of Symon Schermerhoorn (about 500 feet away); Commemorating Massacre (about 500 feet away); Oldest House (about 500 feet away); Cur Non? (about 600 feet away); Toll House (about 700 feet away); Yates House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schenectady.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Landmarks • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.