Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Borough Hall
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 24
On April 16, 1838, the village of Newtown received its own municipal identity, distinct from that of Newtown Township, when it was formally chartered as a borough by the Pennsylvania Legislature.
In 1854, the Borough approved the plans to build this building, located at 23 North State Street. Construction started in 1857 and was finished by 1858. The building was used as both council chambers and lock-up, with the lock-up seeing steady service until the 1940s. Interestingly, the mason who built the walls of this building and lock-up became the first prisoner, confined by the very same walls that he built, for pig stealing.
Major restoration of the chambers was undertaken and completed in 1976 to coincide with the National Bicentennial celebration. This distinctive Greek [R]evival structure has served the Borough officials since its opening in 1858, and is said to be the oldest building in the state still in use for its original purpose as borough chambers.
Erected 2007 by The Borough of Newtown and Newtown Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1921.
Location. 40° 13.804′ N, 74° 56.192′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on State Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 N State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newtown War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Newtown Common & Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temperance House (about 400 feet away); Newtown - County Seat (about 700 feet away); The First National Bank (about 800 feet away); Elinor Slack Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Also see . . .
1. Newtown Heritage Walk. (Submitted on July 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newtown Borough. (Submitted on July 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. History of Newtown Borough. (Submitted on July 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.