Near Cross Plains in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
One mile east stands Haney's Tavern, one of Dane County's oldest existing buildings, later used as a farm home. The tavern, built from native stone, was erected for Haney in 1840 by the Birds, builders also of Madison's first capitol. In the tavern Haney shot a workman named Pelkie--then nursed him back to health.
By nature an adventurer, Haney joined the California gold rush in 1851. He returned to Cross Plains in 1853, deserted his wife, and moved to LeRoy, Kansas where he settled on a farm with a third wife.
In 1858 Haney was shot to death in Kansas. Subsequent owners of the tavern building have borne the names of Arland, Sheasby, Cook, Pick, and Watson.
Erected 1973 by Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list.
Location. 43° 6.476′ N, 89° 38.787′ W. Marker is near Cross Plains, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on County Road P 0.3 miles south of U.S. 14, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cross Plains WI 53528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Plain Good Building of Cross Plains (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kerl School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Festge Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Patrons' Mercantile Co-op (approx. 5˝ miles away); Vermont Creek (approx. 5.6 miles away); Indian Lake Passage (approx. 5.7 miles away); Indian Lake (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Mary of the Oaks (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cross Plains.
Regarding Haney's Tavern. The building referenced in the marker is on private property on Stagecoach Road, approximately 1 mile east of its intersection with County P (which is about 0.7 miles south of the marker). It has apparently been adaptively restored, but portions of the original
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,627 times since then and 152 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.