Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Italian Workmen's Club
Erected 1990 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 90.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. 43° 4.06′ N, 89° 24.112′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Regent Street and North Park Street, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 914 Regent Street, Madison WI 53715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Greenbush (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schmidt's Auto, Inc. (about 600 feet away); Spirit of Greenbush (about 800 feet away); Longfellow School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bowen House (approx. Ό mile away); Edward Klief Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Greenbush (approx. 0.3 miles away); Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers regarding the Greenbush neighborhood.
1. More information about Italian Workmen's Club
One of the few buildings remaining from the original Italian community in Greenbush, the Italian Workmen's Club was constructed by volunteer labor in 1922, with a major renovation in 1936. John Icke, local contractor and benefactor of the Italian community, assisted in the construction. The Club was founded in 1912 as a mutual benefit society for Madison's Italian families. The Club, still thriving, provided health and life benefits to its members, along
Source: Madison Landmarks Commission (http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/landmark/Madison%20Landmarks.htm)
— Submitted July 22, 2010, by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 910 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.