Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1978 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 56.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 43° 4.854′ N, 89° 21.869′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Spaight Street and South Ingersoll Street, on the left Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1102 Spaight Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orton Park (a few steps from this marker); Lougee House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Orton Park (about 400 feet away); Cutter House (about 500 feet away); B. B. Clarke House (about 600 feet away); Mills Brothers Commercial Building (about 600 feet away); Gay Liberation Sculpture (about 600 feet away); Harvey Hospital (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Curtis-Kittleson House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "William D. and Mary Curtis commissioned the architectural partnership of J. O. Gordon and F. W. Paunack to design this eclectic brick house with Queen Anne and chateauesque stylistic references. W. D. Curtis was the president of the local horse collar pad company begun by his father, Dexter Curtis. The elder Curtis had discovered that impregnating the collar pads of horses with zinc kept the horses from getting sores on their necks. He established the Dexter Curtis Company and made a fortune with his special saddlery equipment. The firm grew so successful that it eventually had branch factories in England and France. Of course,
"In 1949 the house was purchased by I. Milo and Ida Kittleson. Milo Kittleson was a banker who served three terms as Madison's mayor, and Ida devoted much of her time to charitable and philanthropic work."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers for other buildings designed by Gordon & Paunack.
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 21, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,465 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.