Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1977 by Madison Landmarks Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 43° 4.645′ N, 89° 22.284′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Jenifer Street, 0.1 miles east of Williamson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 739 Jenifer Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kircher House (a few steps from this marker); Klose Cottage (a few steps from this marker); John George Ott House (within shouting distance of this Madison Candy Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Timothy and Katherine McCarthy House (about 700 feet away); Hyer - Jaquish Hotel (about 800 feet away); B.B. Clarke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Biederstaedt Breitenbach Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Sauthoff House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "Frederick and Johanna Sauthoff built this red brick house in 1857 shortly after they moved here from Hannover, Germany. Frederick Sauthoff was a tailor whose shop was on King Street. The Sauthoffs had several children, all active and gifted athletes and musicians. The house remained in the Sauthoff family until sometime after 1930. ...
"Only houses of the pioneer era were built in Madison of our local red brick, because it was a softer brick that was supplanted soon after the railroads arrived to transport heavy goods by the harder 'Cream City' brick from Milwaukee. The Sauthoff house is a simplified Italianate design with the signature Italianate eaves brackets."
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.