Elkhart in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
E. Hill Turnock
Added many buildings to the architectural significance of Elkhart, Goshen, and Nappanee. Born mid-1850s in England; his family moved to Elkhart early 1870s. In mid-1880s he moved to Chicago; worked until 1890 with architect William Le Baron Jenney. Began private practice 1890; Chicago designs include noted apartment building, Lincoln Park Palace.
He returned to Elkhart 1907; until his death 1926, designed public and private buildings here and in other Indiana cities. Designs here included Water Works, Masonic Temple, schools, hospital, factories, and houses. Harter residence (1913) in Elkhart embodies his design ideals. This Municipal Building, 1915, was designed by Turnock."
Erected 2006 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Elkhart County Historical Society, Elkhart Historic and Cultural Preservation Commission, Jack and Betty Foltz, George and Darlene Adkins, The Ruthmere Foundation, Inc., and Goshen Historical Society. (Marker Number 20.2006.2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 41.1′ N, 85° 58.45′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street and West High Street, on the left when traveling north on South 2nd Street. Marker is located in front of the Elkhart Municipal Building, just north of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 South 2nd Street, Elkhart IN 46516, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elkhart County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Elkhart Carnegie Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Elkhart High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Gordone (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Franklin L. Miles (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bucklen Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away); Elkhart River Wharves (approx. 0.4 miles away); C.G. Conn Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
More about this marker. Charles Gardone Historical Marker can be seen from this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Enock Hill Turnock at Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 8, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
2. Ruthmere Mansion. (Submitted on July 8, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
3. Indiana Historical Bureau (IHB). The IHB provides reference notes (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,031 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.