Fort Riley in Geary County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Capitol of Kansas
The first Kansas Territorial Legislature met in this building, July 2-6, 1855.
Erected 1953 by Kansas State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Kansas Historical Society series list.
Location. 39° 5.104′ N, 96° 45.774′ W. Marker is in Fort Riley, Kansas, in Geary County. Marker is on Huebner Road east of 10th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Riley KS 66442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named First Capitol of Kansas (within shouting distance of this marker); Locomotive "6072" (approx. ¾ mile away); Fort Riley (approx. 1.1 miles away); Tuttle Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sturgis Stadium (approx. 1.6 miles away); To the Memory of the Gallant Dead 26th Cavalry Global War on Terrorism Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away); In Memory of Civil War Horses and Mules (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Riley.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 666 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 5. submitted on February 13, 2015. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.