Bolivar in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The first and only fort of the Revolutionary War, established within the limits of what is now Ohio, was built here in December 1778 by General Lachlan McIntosh, as a defense against the British and Indians, and held until early in August 1779 when it was relieved and abandoned.
It was named in honor of Henry Laurens, President of the Continental Congress.
The small garrison, commanded successively by Colonel John Gibson, Major Frederick Ward Vernon, and Lieutenant Colonel Richard Campbell suffered much from hunger and attacks by the Indian allies of Great Britain.
A number of American soldiers were killed here, and buried near the fort.
Erected 1928 by The Ohio Daughters Of The American Revolution on September 21.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1778.
Location. 40° 38.372′ N, 81° 27.34′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bolivar OH 44612, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Unknown Soldier (a few steps from this marker); Hospital (a few steps from this marker); Tomb (within shouting distance of this marker); Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Introduction (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration of Our Patriot Ancestors (within shouting distance of this marker); Excavation (within shouting distance of this marker); Northwest Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bolivar.
Regarding Fort Laurens. The Fort is no longer in existence but there is an outline of the old fort on the ground. There is also a visitor’s center located there.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2007, by Carl Breth of Willoughby Hills, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,466 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2007, by Carl Breth of Willoughby Hills, Ohio. 4. submitted on November 4, 2007, by Carl Breth of Willoughby Hills, Ohio. 5. submitted on July 20, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.