Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Albert A. Michelson
Dec. 19, 1852 – May 9, 1931
Erected 1975 by Matuca Chapter and Grand Council of E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 38° 8.262′ N, 120° 27.783′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street west of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted on a stone base to the right of the entrance walkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Native Sons of the Golden West (within shouting distance of this marker); Murphy Brothers (within shouting Masonic Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Murphys (about 300 feet away); Old Segale Building (about 400 feet away); The Old Fisk Building (about 500 feet away); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
Also see . . . Biography of Albert Michelson. Born in Strelno, Prussia (later Strzelno, Poland), son of a Jewish merchant, Michelson was brought to America as a small child. He grew up in the rough, booming mining towns of Murphy's Camp, California and Virginia City, Nevada. In 1869 he went to Annapolis as an appointee of President U. S. Grant. After graduation he stayed on at the Naval Academy as a science instructor. (Submitted on July 9, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,187 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on July 9, 2010. 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 9, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.