Keyser in Mineral County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Keyser / Averell’s Raid
Averell’s Raid. Here in 1863 General W. W. Averell started the Federal cavalry raid to Salem, Virginia, and then back into this State. This is among the great exploits of the War. Many of his troopers were from West Virginia.
Erected 1980 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 39° 25.883′ N, 78° 59.2′ W. Marker is in Keyser, West Virginia, in Mineral County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keyser WV 26726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Fuller (approx. half a mile away); Potomac State College (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Keyser / Averell’s Raid (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historical Marker near Post Office (approx. 0.8 miles away); D-Day (approx. 0.8 miles away); Armstrong Mansion (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kelley Memorial Plaza (approx. 0.8 miles away); World War II (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keyser.
More about this marker. An exact duplicate of this marker can be found on East Piedmont Street, just east of Mineral Street, in front of the old Keyser High School.
Also see . . .
1. A History of New Creek and Keyser. “On 11-28-1864, a Confederate force under Gen Rosser managed by wearing some stolen blue Union uniforms, to penetrate Fort Fuller about 10 AM. They withdrew about 4:00PM. While there, they captured @ 400 Union soldiers and also private citizens, all who were taken to Libby Prison in Richmond. Among the citizens captured were Andrew Shillingburg of Elk Garden, I. D. Caldwell, and Marshall M. Saure. The only fatality was a Confederate soldier, who was killed at the corner of Main and Center Streets, where Minnich’s Flower Shop (Submitted on July 9, 2010.)
2. William Averell's Cavalry Raid on the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad. 2000 article by Robert Thompson. “The eastern end of the 204-mile Virginia & Tennessee line was at Lynchburg, where cars transferred to the Southside Railroad could continue their eastward trek to Petersburg and Richmond. Heading west from Lynchburg, the Virginia & Tennessee ran through southwestern Virginia until it ended at Bristol, Tenn. At that point, the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad took over and ran to Knoxville. Halleck wanted the Virginia & Tennessee cut to sever the vital network of railways that tied together the South’s Eastern and Western theaters and served as avenues for communications and supplies. The Virginia & Tennessee’s importance to the Confederacy was heightened by the fact that Southern troops under Lt. Gen. James Longstreet were operating in East Tennessee and had recently threatened Knoxville. By cutting the rail line, Union commanders hoped to deprive Longstreet’s men of needed materiel.” (Submitted on July 9, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.