Keyser in Mineral County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Keyser / Averellís Raid
Keyser. Between 1861–1865, Keyser, then New Creek, was sought by the North and South. It changed hands fourteen times. Fort Fuller, where Potomac State Collect stands, was supported by a series of forts girding the town.
Averellís Raid. Here in 1863 General W. W. Averell started the Federal cavalry raid to Salem, Virginia, and then back into this State. This is among the great exploits of the War. Many of his troopers were from West Virginia.
Erected 1980 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 39° 26.37′ N, 78° 58.599′ W. Marker is in Keyser, West Virginia, in Mineral County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keyser WV 26726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historical Marker near Post Office (here, next to this marker); Armstrong Mansion (a few steps from this marker); Former Keyser High School (a few steps from this marker); Kelley Memorial Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); D-Day (within shouting distance of this marker); Key Terrain (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Battle of Kesternich (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keyser.
More about this marker. An exact duplicate of this marker can be found on S. Mineral Street at Carskadon Lane.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry for Keyser, West Virginia. “Because of the importance of the railroad, the town changed hands 14 times. At the time, West Virginia became a state in 1863 there was some contention between Piedmont and New Creek over the location of the county seat. As an inducement to have the county seat located in New Creek, the Davis brothers donated land for the courthouse in 1867 and is still in use. In 1874, the town was incorporated as ĎKeyserí to honor William Keyser, Vice President (Submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
2. Wikipedia entry for General W. W. Averell. “Averell left the Army of the Potomac after his relief at Chancellorsville and fought a series of minor engagements in the Department of West Virginia at the brigade and division level. In November 1863, he conducted what is called Averellís West Virginia Raid against the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad. He received a brevet promotion to lieutenant colonel in the regular army for the Battle of Droop Mountain in West Virginia on November 6, 1863, and to colonel for actions at Salem, Virginia, on December 15, 1863. In the spring of 1864, he led another cavalry raid toward Saltville but was stopped by Generals John Hunt Morgan and William E. ĎGrumbleí Jones at Cove Gap. Returning to West Virginia, he later commanded a cavalry division under Maj. Gen. David Hunter in his failed raid on Lynchburg.” (Submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 14, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on July 14, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on July 9, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.