Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
New Salem Primitive Baptist Church came into existence from its "mother church," Mt. Moriah Primitive Baptist Church in Tampa. Rev. G.S. Crawford, from east Florida, organized New Salem in 1905, which first held services in a one-room building on 9th Street. Later that year, Elder T. Gurley, the former deacon at Mt. Moriah, was chosen as New Salem's pastor. He initiated the construction of a church at 914 2nd Avenue.
Reverend W. M. Scott served as pastor from the early 1920s until 1956. Under his leadership, a new church was completed on the same site in 1951. New Salem and its Deacons, Trustees, and Mothers Boards expanded their activities.
In 1966, New Salem was razed due to Tampa's urban renewal program. Church services were temporarily held at the Odd Fellows Hall on Central Avenue. In 1969, Pastor Richard H. Howard organized the construction of the new church at 1605 N. Nebraska Avenue. New Salem was incorporated at Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church in 2002, the name its parishioners had known it by for decades.
New Salem has proudly served Tampa's African American community for more than a century. Its
Erected 2010 by The Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 27° 57.538′ N, 82° 27.066′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nebraska Avenue and East Estelle Street, on the right when traveling north on North Nebraska Avenue. Marker is located next to the sidewalk, directly in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1605 North Nebraska Avenue, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Centro Asturiano de Tampa (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Peter Claver Catholic School (approx. ¼ mile away); Ybor City Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); German-American Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rough Riders (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sociedad La Union Marti-Maceo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jose Marti (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cradle of Cuban Liberty (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,802 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.