Odem in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Meansville and Kaleta
(3 miles southeast)
Col. William Marshall Means, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, came to San Patricio County with his family in the 1850s and settled southeast of present Odem. Means was county sheriff from 1862 to 1867. The center of the community was a two-story building erected by the Methodist congregation in 1874. It also served as a schoolhouse, ecumenical church and community center. By January 1876, the community was thriving and headed for a promising future when three of Col. Means' sons went on a shooting spree in Papalote in Bee County. A posse which included San Patricio County Sheriff Ed Garner tracked them to their father's ranch, where Col. Means was killed. In August, Ed Garner was shot as he attended church services. Alley Means was convicted of murder, but later pardoned by Gov. John Ireland. The townspeople lived in fear until the Texas Rangers ordered the Means families to leave the area. By the early 1880s they had sold their San Patricio County holdings. The school building was sold in 1881.
(5 miles southeast)
Several families settled in the area that
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12182.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1876.
Location. 27° 56.982′ N, 97° 34.986′ W. Marker is in Odem, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of Voss Street (U.S. 77) and West Humphries Street, on the right when traveling west on Voss Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odem TX 78370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Odem Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); White Point / Rosita (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Odem Area Schools (within shouting distance of this marker); Odem First Baptist Church Courthouses of San Patricio County (approx. 7.3 miles away); Odem Building (approx. 7˝ miles away); Old Cemetery on the Hill (approx. 11 miles away); Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odem.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.