Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Compere Store

 
 
The Compere Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
1. The Compere Store Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1858 by Pierre Bonet with fire proof steel shutters and stone walls. Owned and operated by Victorene Compere to provision the miners. Restored and preserved as a private residence in 1939.
Historic American Building Survey No. 1108
1977 ECV

 
Erected 1977 by E Clampus Vitus.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
 
Location. 38° 8.274′ N, 120° 28.053′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street east of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted the building which is located on the northeast corner of Main and Church Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 570 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of E.C.V. Saloon (here, next to this marker); The Heinsdorff Bakery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall
The Compere Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
2. The Compere Store and Marker
(about 400 feet away); E Clampus Vitus (about 500 feet away); William Gordon Huff (about 600 feet away); Maj. James D. Savage (about 600 feet away); John Murphy (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named E Clampus Vitus (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
 
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
 
The Compere Store image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
3. The Compere Store
Marker is located on the far right of the building.
The building is known locally as the Bonnet/Compere Store. It was built of rhyolite bricks and limestone rubble and was used as a grocery and provisions store.
The Compere Store image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
4. The Compere Store
View of building from across Church Street
The Compere Store image. Click for more information.
By William H. Knowles, Photographer, May 30, 1936
5. The Compere Store
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
HABS CAL,5-MURPH,1-

Click for more information.
The Compere Store image. Click for full size.
V. Covert Martin Collection, circa 1936
6. The Compere Store
Historic American Buildings Survey
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 747 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 4, 2020