Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
has been designated
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America
National Park Service
From 1910 to 1948 it served as the first
headquarters of The Carnegie
Endowment for International Peace.
It was endowed by Andrew Carnegie
to "Hasten the abolition of
The townhouse was built in 1860 for
Dr. Peter Parker founder of medical
missions in China who occupied the
building 1861-1888. He was the U.S.
minister to China 1855-57.
The Bureau of Pan American Republics
which was the forerunner of the
Pan American Union, was housed here 1888-1908.
Erected 1976 by The U.S. General Services Administration.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Peace. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1974.
Location. 38° 53.938′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Jackson Place Northwest, Washington DC 20005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Entrance Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blair House (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of Leslie Coffelt (within shouting distance of this marker); General Comte Jean de Rochambeau Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Francis Preston Blair (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Blair House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lee House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Home of the Reserve Officers Association (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,616 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on February 25, 2020. 2. submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.