Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Birthplace of the Telegraph
— Historic Speedwell —
Gabriel Ford, Jr. served in the army and was stationed in Morristown at the time of the winter encampment. After the war, he built a small framed farm house just south of the family mansion. Later in life he went on to become an important citizen, serving as a judge and as one of the original incorporates of the Morris Aqueduct, Morristown’s first public water supply. Like the Ford Mansion, his house survived substantially unaltered until it was moved to the grounds of Historic Speedwell in 1969.
< Sidebar: >
The Cottage originally stood on the southern slope of the hill just below the Ford Mansion in Morristown. A fine example of the vernacular architecture of the early 1800’s, it retains its original configuration with
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1969.
Location. 40° 48.856′ N, 74° 28.822′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from Speedwell Avenue (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at Historic Speedwell. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Speedwell Avenue, Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wheel House (here, next to this marker); The Homestead Farm (a few steps from this marker); The Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); The Granary (within shouting distance of this marker); L’Hommedieu House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1849 Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Moses Estey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Worker Housing (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
More about this marker. The bottom left of the marker features “A winter view of Historic Speedwell showing the Factory on the left and the old farm house that was replaced by the Ford Cottage on the right.” Next to this is a map of Historic Speedwell.
The sidebar on the right side of the marker contains photographs of the Ford Cottage in its original location, another at its present site, and a third of it being restored. These have a caption of “The Ford Cottage as it stood on Howell Place in Morristown. The Cottage was transported to Historic Speedwell and carefully restored.” Also present is a map showing the location in Morristown where the Ford Cottage originally stood.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Historic Speedwell - "Birthplace of the Telegraph". (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 704 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.