Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Birthplace of the Telegraph
— Historic Speedwell —
Although the exact age of the present structure is not known, the center hallway and staircase clearly date to a remodeling done in the early 1800’s. The house has four rooms on each floor and a basement with a large fireplace for cooking. The roof has been gambreled to allow more second floor headroom. An interesting feature is the beautifully paneled front door with small paned sidelights and transom. Much of the clapboard siding is original. The house was recently renovated and is now Historic Speedwell’s Visitors Center with admissions, exhibits and gift shop on the first floor, and staff offices above. The basement has been restored for educational programs, and includes a working open hearth fireplace.
< Sidebar: >
In the 1960’s a Morristown redevelopment project called for the construction of a three building complex to be called Headquarters Plaza on
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 40° 48.879′ N, 74° 28.816′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from Speedwell Avenue (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at Historic Speedwell. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Speedwell Avenue, Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Granary (a few steps from this marker); 1849 Carriage House (a few steps from this marker); Moses Estey House Water Power at Speedwell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Homestead Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Homestead Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheel House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ford Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
More about this marker. The bottom left of the marker contains the painting “View of Morristown From the Hill Behind the First Presbyterian Church, By Edward Kranich, c. 1855, courtesy of Morristown National Historical Park.” The L’Hommedieu House and Moses Estey House are identified in the picture. Next to this is a map of Historic Speedwell.
A modern photograph of the L’Hommedieu House appears at the top of the marker and has a caption of “When moved to Historic Speedwell, the L’Hommedieu House was placed on a new foundation on the site of the Homestead Farm’s barn and woodshed that had burned in the 1960’s. A front porch, dormer window and two layers of siding were removed to return the house to its early 19th century appearance.”
The sidebar on the marker’s right includes a map of downtown Morristown showing the original locations of the L’Hommedieu House and Moses Estey House. Two older photos of the L’Hommedieu House are under this map. One has a caption of “Although the L’Hommedieu House was in poor condition, in the 1960’s it still retained its dignity as one of the oldest houses in Morristown. Another shows the house on the back of a truck and has the caption “To save it from demolition, Federal funding was used to move the house one mile to Historic Speedwell.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found at Historic Speedwell.
Also see . . . Historic Speedwell - "Birthplace of the Telegraph". (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.