Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnsburg in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Father Caspar Rehrl / St. John the Baptist Parish

 
 
Father Caspar Rehrl Marker (South Side) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, October 28, 2007
1. Father Caspar Rehrl Marker (South Side)
Inscription.  
Father Caspar Rehrl
A priest, missionary, teacher, founder of churches and schools, and organizer of parishes, Father Rehrl was born in Salzburg, Austria, in 1809. He became a mission­ary to North America, arriving in the new diocese of Milwaukee in the Wisconsin Territory in 1845. He traveled on foot through the Wisconsin wilderness to Johnsburg, a small community of German settlers established in 1841, where he was appointed the first resident pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish. Throughout his life, Father Rehrl energetically carried out his missionary work on this eastern Wisconsin frontier, organizing more than 15 parishes and schools, including Holy Name in Sheboygan, Holy Cross in Mount Calvary and St. Joseph in Fond du Lac.

As the number of Wisconsin parishes grew, Father Rehrl saw the need for dedicat­ed religious women to help with education. On August 12, 1858, he founded the Sisters of St. Agnes, an order of teaching and nursing sisters whose services spread from Wisconsin to Kansas and New York.

Father Rehrl died on September 3, 1881, and is buried in St. Agnes Sisters Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in Fond du Lac.

St. John the Baptist Parish
This faith community was established in 1841 by German settlers from the Rhine region, mostly from the areas of Trier and Koblenz. By 1842 Theodore Van Den Broek, a missionary, arrived and services were held in the John Brost home. He also helped build the first log church in 1843, located one and one-quarter miles north of here.

By 1845 sixty families settled here, the same year Father Caspar Rehrl, an Austrian, became the first resident pastor. As immigrants heard of this paradise valley, with land priced at $1.25 per acre for the best and $.75 for the inferior, as they settled more to the south, the population grew to 200 families by 1851. It also became evident the old log church had out-grown its capacity, and in 1855 they decided to build a new and larger church to be located one and one-quarter miles to the south of the original log church near the Manitowoc River, on a five acre tract of land donated by Mathias Kalt.

In 1856, a new two-story school building was also being erected, and on June 24, 1857, our patron Feast Day, the present church was completed and consecrated by the Rev. John Martin Henni, the first bishop of Milwaukee. In 1923, a four classroom school was built with living quarters for teaching nuns. In 1963, two large classrooms and a meeting room were added
St. John the Baptist Parish Marker (North Side) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, October 28, 2007
2. St. John the Baptist Parish Marker (North Side)
to the school.

In 1969 this parish consolidated its school system with three neighboring parishes, pioneering the way to a higher quality education.

On Oct. 29, 1980, St. John the Baptist Church was registered in the National Register of Historic Places in Madison, Wis., for being the oldest Catholic Church north of Milwaukee with daily services.

This marker is dedicated to all these heroic immigrants for their courage, efforts, hardships, and monetary support and to those who are devoted to the preservation thereof.

Compiled and erected by Adrian Schmitz - 1993
 
Erected 1991 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 302.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1764.
 
Location. 43° 52.613′ N, 88° 17.415′ W. Marker is in Johnsburg, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway W and County Highway Q, on the right when traveling south on County Highway W. Marker is in front of St. John the Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N9288 County Highway W, Malone WI 53049, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Father Caspar Rehrl / St. John the Baptist Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, October 28, 2007
3. Father Caspar Rehrl / St. John the Baptist Parish Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John The Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Edward S. Bragg (approx. 4.9 miles away); Home of Governor James Duane Doty (approx. 7.2 miles away); Toll Gate on the Military Trail (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Brothertown Indians of Wisconsin (approx. 8.6 miles away); G. A. R. Memorial Drive (approx. 9.6 miles away); Locomotive No. 2714 (approx. 9.7 miles away); Spanish–American War Memorial (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,751 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on November 10, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3293

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024