Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Johnson

 
 
Fort Johnson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2010
1. Fort Johnson Marker
Inscription.  In the hours following the September 29, 1864, Federal triumph at Fort Harrison, 1,000 yards south of here, Confederate defenses stiffened. Two hundred Georgia infantrymen and Virginia artillerists filled Fort Johnson. Later in the morning they repulsed a direct attack launched by the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, a large unit converted to infantry service. The treeless plain in front of the fort gave the Confederates an excellent field of fire. Fort Johnson became the northern anchor of a new Confederate line, built to cover the gap created by the loss of Fort Harrison.

(sidebar)
Confederate engineers employed defensive methods that were both centuries-old (sharpened stakes-abatis) and futuristic (land mines).

Their land mines, known then as torpedos, were artillery shells with special fuses designed to explode on contact. At Fort Johnson, and along the rest of the Confederate line, the mines were buried every two to five feet.
 
Erected 2010 by Richmond National Battlefield Park.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles
Fort Johnson image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2010
2. Fort Johnson
Click or scan to see
this page online
War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1864.
 
Location. 37° 26.15′ N, 77° 22.642′ W. Marker is in Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Battlefield Park Road, 0.4 miles north of Picnic Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Harrison (approx. 0.6 miles away); Richmond Defences (approx. 0.6 miles away); Freedom Fighters (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Park Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named First Park Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Harrison Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Counterattack (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Unique Photograph (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
 
More about this marker. On the lower left is a picture of a land mine or "torpedo". On the right is a photo with the caption, "After the famous "Crater" explosion at Petersburg, both sides feared similar mining operations would occur in the Richmond defenses. Fort Johnson's deep ditch was a preventative measure."
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Old Marker At This Location also titled "Fort Johnson".
 
Also see . . .  Richmond National Battlefield Park. (Submitted on July 12, 2010.)
 
Fort Johnson image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2010
3. Fort Johnson
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=32933

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 19, 2022