Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Heritage of the Hill
The Wisconsin Sunday School Assembly purchased the 28-acre parcel in 1881 to provide families with two weeks of entertainment and inspiration. Dozens of canvas tents bordered the "streets" and a large pavilion seated 450 persons. Lectures by noted orators often attracted audiences of 3,000. Concerts by local and national bands provided evening entertainment. Lake steamers, carriages, trains and street cars brought passengers from Madison. The Monona Lake Assembly became the "Chatauqua of the West."
In 1910, after the Assembly's popularity had declined, the city purchased the land as Monona Park, renamed in Olin Park in 1922. After the acquisiton of adjacent Turville Point in 1980, it became Olin-Turville Park.
Erected 2001 by Dane County Historical Society
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 43° 3.253′ N, 89° 22.661′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on John Nolen Drive 0.2 miles north of Olin Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monona Lake Assembly Normal Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bernie's Beach (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brittingham Boat House (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Nolen Causeway (approx. one mile away); Eggiman House (approx. one mile away); American Tobacco Co. Warehouses (approx. one mile away); La Follette House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dowling Apartments (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Heritage of the Hill. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This pavilion was built as a 450-seat lecture hall for the Monona Lake Assembly. Established to provide instruction for Sunday school teachers, it soon became a popular summer camp for tourists from throughout
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on July 12, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 20, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.