Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1976 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 46.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 43° 4.754′ N, 89° 21.994′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Spaight Street 0.1 miles west of South Brearly Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 946 Spaight Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Leonard Farwell lived here, in his octagonal mansion Harvey Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Cutter House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hyer - Jaquish Hotel (about 700 feet away); B.B. Clarke (about 700 feet away); Lougee House (about 800 feet away); Timothy and Katherine McCarthy House (about 800 feet away); Orton Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Shipley-Shuttleworth House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "In Madison's first decades, several families built their houses along the Lake Monona shore. The most imposing house was Governor Farwell's octagonal mansion, which was roughly kitty-corner from this house. Another was the sandstone Ford mansion at 1033 Spaight Street and Hyer's Hotel at 854 Jenifer St. This simple Italianate house is built of the local red brick that was used before the railroads were in place and could ship the harder cream-colored Milwaukee brick to Madison.
"The first resident-owners of this house appear to have been D. B. and Mary Shipley. Mr. Shipley was a railroad contractor. In the late 1870s Colonel William Slaughter and his family lived here. Slaughter was one of the first non-native persons to visit the Madison area. He served in 1835 as Register of the Green Bay Land Office and also as a member of the Michigan Territorial Legislature who voted to separate the Wisconsin Territory from Michigan. Before any white people lived in what would become Madison, Slaughter had moved to Middleton where he platted the 'City of the Four Lakes,' one of about two dozen contenders for the location of the territorial capitol, the contest won, of course, by James Doty's plat for Madison. From 1893 to 1970 the house was owned by Farrand K. and Elizabeth Shuttleworth. Mr. Shuttleworth and his son of the same name were attorneys."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,000 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.