Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Troop K Georgia Cavalry
( Rear )
[ Emblem: Last Man's Club ]
of the Last Man's Club organized
24 December 1929 and dedicated to
Men Of Troop K, Georgia Cavalry
who served at the Mexican Border
in 1916 and in World War 1
( List of 123 Names)
Erected by Last Man's Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World I.
Location. 33° 28.15′ N, 81° 57.266′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Located between 3rd Street and 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 239 Greene Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans of All Wars (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thankful Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Georgia’s First School of Medicine (approx. St. James United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); De L Aigle Brick Yard (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Academy of Richmond County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Georgia's State Capital (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding Troop K Georgia Cavalry. Available records indicate THE RICHMOND HUSSARS were organized in the 1790s as a Troop of Horse, Troop of Cavalry, Troop of Dragoons and later were known as THE RICHMOND HUSSARS which name continued with them until 1917 when the troop of cavalry was redesignated, on War Department Orders, as Co. C., 106th Field Signal Battalion, 31st Division.
During the long period of their existence, The
Richmond Hussars served in nearly all the major
and minor wars in which the United States
participated. During the War Between the States, two units of The Richmond Hussars served in the Confederate States Army.
One was known as Company "A" Georgia Legion Cavalry, or Cobb's Legion, Georgia Volunteers, and the other was known as Company
— Submitted July 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.