Mayfield in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built and Garrisoned
During the Revolution as A
Refuge for Settlers
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Government & Politics • Military • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 43° 5.181′ N, 74° 14.46′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Vandenburgh Point Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 355 Vandenburgh Point Road, Mayfield NY 12117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burying Ground (approx. half a mile away); Romeyn's Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away); Anthonyville (approx. 1.6 miles away); Dutch Reformed Church of Mayfield (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rice Homestead (approx. 2.1 miles away); Riceville Cemetery Captain Solomon Woodworth (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Burying Ground (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mayfield.
Regarding Mayfield Fort. This marker has been controversial for some time now due to its location and title. This old blockhouse was built circa 1777 during the American Revolutionary War and was known to have been under attack once when Soloman Woodsworth used it for his headquarters. Sometimes referred to as the Sacandaga Blockhouse it was built 20 miles north of the Mohawk, just off Van Den Burgh Road close to the southwestern shore of present day man-made Sacandaga Lake. Accounts vary and it was either attacked and destroyed in June 1778 or attacked and not destroyed in April 1780. Accounts of its location also vary. Early documents that described this fortification as being in Lot #14 of the Sacandaga Patent, places this site down the road and out in the Lake, underwater today.
Additional keywords. Sacandaga Blockhouse
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.