Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Native Sons of the Golden West
This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and tobacco. The original hall was deeded to the Literary and Dramatic Association in 1894 and to Chrispa Parlor in 1905. That structure was destroyed by fire on March 11, 1989 and rebuilt and completed December 1991.
Erected 1992 by Chrispa Parlor No. 139, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 14, 1779.
Location. 38° 8.255′ N, 120° 27.829′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street east of North Algiers Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted on the front of the building to the right of the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 380 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Segale Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Albert A. Michelson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Fisk Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Murphys Pokey (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store (about 300 feet away); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (about 300 feet away); Murphys Hotel (about 300 feet away); Old Sperry Hotel (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
Also see . . . Native Sons of the Golden West. By the mid-1870s, many new residents were flooding into California. Old-timers shook their heads and worried that, with the nature of the population changing so rapidly, the colorful history of the Gold Rush and early-day statehood soon would be forgotten and neglected. So they hit upon an idea: Why not form an organization of men who had been BORN in California whose mission it would be to preserve the state’s history? And that’s exactly what happened, causing the Native Sons of the Golden West to be formed on Sept. 11, 1875. (Submitted on July 13, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,365 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.