Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
City Jail and Firehouse
This Romanesque/Classical Revival building was constructed in 1895 and served as both a fire station (on the first floor) and the City jail (on the second). It is one of the two buildings facing the Courthouse Plaza that survived the fire of 1900. After construction of a new fire station and jail, the building saw various uses and was heavily stuccoed, covering many of its original features. Careful restoration in 1980 revealed the excellent tufa stone work that was quarried locally.
Erected by Historic Preservation Fund and the City of Prescott.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 34° 32.39′ N, 112° 28.176′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on West Goodwin Street west of South Cortez Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 West Goodwin Street, Prescott AZ 86303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ruffner Plaza Stables (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott (within shouting distance of this The Fire of 1900 (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Creeks are Alive! (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Howey's Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel Vendome (about 400 feet away); Bicentennial Tree (about 400 feet away); Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.