Platteville in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Main Street Commercial Historic District Platteville
The Historic District was Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 and consists of more than 60 historic commercial, religious, social, governmental and industrial buildings. The majority exhibit the Italianate style of architecture, but the Federal, Romanesque, Queen Anne, Classical and Mediterranean styles are also represented in the district.
This City Park continues to function as a public square and green space in the heart of Platteville, as designed in the original plat of 1835.
Erected 1993 by Wisconsin Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 44.103′ N, 90° 28.754′ W. Marker is in Platteville, Wisconsin, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Irving Place and Court Street, on the left when traveling east on W. Irving Place. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Platteville WI 53818, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First State Normal School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Platteville Started Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); World's Largest M (approx. 4.1 miles away); The First Capitol (approx. 6.3 miles away); Land, Lead, and Politics (approx. 6.3 miles away); Governor Tommy G. Thompson's 1998 Address At Wisconsin's First Capitol (approx. 6.3 miles away); Belmont, Wisconsin Territory, 1836 (approx. 6.4 miles away); 1998 Wisconsin Assembly (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Platteville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.