New Westminster in Greater Vancouver Regional District, British Columbia — Canada’s West Coast
The New Westminster Court House and Land Registry Office
On September 10, 1898, the entire New Westminster downtown business area was destroyed by fire, including the Court House. The Court House was rebuilt within existing walls by G.W. Grant and reopened on June 19, 1899.
The Court House and the Land Registry were closed in 1980. The buildings were renovated in 1989, renamed "Begbie Court" and reopened in January 1990. In 1997 the buildings were purchased by "Begbie Court Holdings Inc.", a wholly owned subsidiary of "Operating Engineers Pension PLan".
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings.
Location. 49° 12.184′ N, 122° 54.622′ W. Marker is in New Westminster, British Columbia, in Greater Vancouver Regional District. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Carnavon Street and McKenzie Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 668 Carnavon Street, New Westminster, British Columbia V3M 5Z5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Sadie Marks (approx. 15.9 kilometers away); Historic Port Elgin (approx. 16.1 kilometers away); Historic Stewart Farmhouse (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); Farming History (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); The Semiahmoo Trail (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Carnegie Library (approx. 16.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Westminster.
Regarding The New Westminster Court House and Land Registry Office. •Canada's Historic Places statement of heritage value for the Court House:The New Westminster Courthouse is symbolic of the administration of justice during the province's early years. As the first capital of British Columbia and a prominent commercial centre, New Westminster was vital in the establishment
• Canada's Historic Places statement of heritage value for the land registry building: The Land Registry Office is a significant legacy of New Westminster's role as an administrative centre. The distribution of Crown Land as well as the registration of land transactions was a key function of the colonial government. New Westminster, as the capital of the Mainland Colony, and later as the first capital of the province of British Columbia, was the location of the original Land Registry in 1860. The Land Registry was housed in various offices until the construction of this substantial building during the western boom years, an indication of the volume of land sales at the time. The building remained as the local Land Registry in New Westminster until 1980.
Also see . . . Canada's Historic Places. The Canadian Register of Historic Places - includes a searchable database. (Submitted on July 17, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 2,856 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 17, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.