El Campo in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank of El Campo
A two-story bank building was erected on the corner of Monseratte and Post Office Streets. The bank's founders were instrumental in the development of El Campo and led efforts to have the city incorporated in 1905.
Providing investment capital for the rice and oil industries, which were the foundations of El Campo's economy, the bank grew with the city, survived the Great Depression, and emerged as a strong financial institution serving residents throughout Wharton County. After sixty-five years at the Monseratte St. location the bank moved to a larger facility at this site. It continues to support business, civic, and youth activities throughout the county.
Erected 1991 by
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1902.
Location. 29° 11.845′ N, 96° 16.11′ W. Marker is in El Campo, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on East Jackson Street (Business U.S. 59) just east of North Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 East Jackson Street, El Campo TX 77437, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prairie Switch (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Campo (about 600 feet away); El Campo Library Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Danevang (approx. 11.3 miles away); Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 11.3 miles away); Danevang Lutheran Church (approx. 11.3 miles away); Danevang Pioneer Monument (approx. 11.3 miles away); Danevang Community Hall (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Campo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.