Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
An important figure in Flagstaff's early history, Donahue held public office and participated in many civic improvements; but he was also a free-wheeling gambler, drinker and spender. Donahue became overextended and lost the property on a mortgage foreclosure.
A small number of Chinese lived in Flagstaff from its earlier days and quietly contributed to the success of the town, saving the money they earned by hard work in laundries and restaurants until they could buy land. In 1924, the ownership of this site passed into the hands of Chinese families who ran it as a cafe. Over the years it was known as the Mandarin, Royal and Rose Tree Cafe.
The brick face was covered with stucco in the 1940's, at about the same time that the Rose Tree became a saloon.
Erected by Jake & Meryl Horine, Richard & Sherry Mangum and the Main Street Foundation.
Topics. This historical Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 35° 11.848′ N, 111° 38.897′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is on East Route 66 west of South San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 East Route 66, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aubineau / Andreatos Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Coconino Chop House (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Gandy Dancer" (within shouting distance of this marker); Ricket & Brooks Bldg. (within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Raymond Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away); Verkamp Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,249 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.