Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located on beachfront property overlooking Corpus Christi Bay, the McCampbell house was in a precarious position when the hurricane of 1919 ravaged the city. As Mary and her sons watched from the porch on the second story, floodwaters rose to cover the first floor of the structure. Although the house survived the storm, family tradition hold that Mary contracted pneumonia while watching the storm and died of the disease in early 1920.
After their mother's death, the McCampbell sons left Corpus Christi to attend military schools. They all returned to the city, however, and the house remained in the family until 1945. After a period of use as rental property, it was acquired by the city and relocated to Heritage Park in 1884
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1421.
Location. 27° 48.338′ N, 97° 23.705′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Chaparral Street when traveling north. Located in Heritage Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1513 North Chaparrel, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Irishtown (a few steps from this marker); Jalufka-Galatos House (within shouting distance of this marker); Merriman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kovner-Bobys Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Grande-Grossman House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); French-Galvan House (about 400 feet away); Sidbury House (about 500 feet away); Julius Lichtenstein House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.