Near Underwood in Pottawattamie County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historic Council Bluffs / Noted Council Bluffs Residents
The first steamboat landed in the area in 1819. For the next several decades hundreds of steamboats docked in Council Bluffs, bringing people and goods for their westward journey on the Oregon and California trails and to the western gold fields. In 1856, Congress authorized four railroads to traverse Iowa from east to west. Two of these were to terminate in Council Bluffs, the Northwestern from Lyons and the Rock Island from Davenport. This emphasis on transportation has not changed, and today Council Bluffs is served by two Interstate highways, 80 and 29.
In 1854, Grenville
Amelia Jenks Bloomer, an early resident, was a women’s suffrage leader of national reputation. In addition to giving her name to a new style of clothing for women, she also wrote widely in periodicals during the 1850s and 1860s and was a popular lecturer on temperance and women’s rights.
Another famous resident of Council Bluffs was Dr. Lee de Forest, known for his invention of the three-electrode vacuum tube and more than 300 other patents. His inventions were significant in the development of the radio and electronics industries during the early 20th century.
Erected 1976 by Iowa State Historical Department Division of the State Historical Society and by the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels • Women. In addition, it is included in the California Trail, the Iowa - State Historical Society of Iowa, the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the Women's Suffrage series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
Location. 41° 24.1′ N, 95° 39.493′ W. Marker is near Underwood, Iowa, in Pottawattamie County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 80 at milepost 19,, 2 miles east of Magnolia Road, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located at Rest Area 30 Eastbound, 1.6 miles east of Exit 17 on Interstate 80. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Underwood IA 51576, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Historic Council Bluffs / Noted Council Bluffs ResidentsAnticipating An Indian Council (approx. 12.3 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 12.3 miles away); Like a Bald Man’s Head (approx. 12.3 miles away); Grenville M. Dodge (approx. 12˝ miles away); Colonel William H. Kinsman (approx. 13.4 miles away); Kanesville Mormon Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away); Abraham Lincoln's 1859 Visit (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Also see . . . Historical Society of Pottawattamie County. (Submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.