Snow Camp in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Uncle Eli's Quilting Party
Began here in former Eli Whitney School
In 1923 high school classes relocated to building on this site. In 1928 a primary grade school building was added for students of local one-room type schools: Center, Manndale, Concord, Spring, and Greenhill, along with a uniting connector auditorium that was also used for community events. Here began "Uncle Eli's Quilting Party" in 1931. The one-day quilting and quilt show that continues annually on the first Thursday in April.
Erected by Eli Whitney Class of 1943.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. 35° 54.383′ N, 79° 18.04′ W. Marker is in Snow Camp, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of East Greensboro Chapel Hill Road and Bradshaw Trail, on the left when traveling east on East Greensboro Chapel Hill Road. Travel south on NC Highway Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4110 East Greensboro Chapel Hill Road, Snow Camp NC 27349, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lindley's Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ernest Peter Dixon (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Battle of Lindley's Mill Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Spring Friends Meeting (approx. 1˝ miles away); General John Butler (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Battle of Lindley's Mill (approx. 2.7 miles away); September 13, 1781 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Saxapahaw (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snow Camp.
More about this marker. The old Eli Whitney School is now used as a recreation center.
Additional keywords. Fabrics, textiles, community quilting bee, Alamance, Snow Camp, Graham, Mebane, Mebanesville
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,309 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.