San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of the Bank of Lucas, Turner & Co.
State Registered Landmark No. 453
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission with the cooperation of The Society of California Pioneers.
Dedicated January 17, 1950
Erected 1950 by California Centennials Commission and the Society of California Pioneers. (Marker Number 453.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 17, 1831.
Location. 37° 47.79′ N, 122° 24.203′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 Montgomery Street, San Francisco CA 94111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Banking Firm of Pioche et Bayerque (a few steps from this marker); The Salvation Army (within shouting distance of this marker); First Jewish Religious Services (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotaling Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 56 Gold Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Black Cat Café (within shouting distance of this marker); The Montgomery Block (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Graceful Brick Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . William Tecumseh Sherman (1820 - 1891). The Virtual Museum of San Francisco's treatment of General Sherman, with an emphasis on the time he spent in California:...He left California and served as an officer in the commissary department of the army, and resigned September 6, 1853 to return to California and take up banking for Lucas, Turner & Co. He oversaw the construction of the new bank building which opened July 11, 1854, at 800 Montgomery St. The building has survived earthquakes and fires, and is know known as “Sherman’s bank” at Montgomery and Jackson streets. (Submitted on July 22, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 15, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.