Lindale in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Rev. Mr. Milburn bought land from Benjamin Harry in 1853 that was part of the A.J. Lagrone Survey patented in 1850. This home was built by the Rev. Mr. Milburn in 1855. The structure was built with handpicked knot-free lumber on a foundation put together with wooden pegs, and featured solid oak walls. Its wide doors and floor plan are indicative of a 19th-century house. Business owners W.D. and W.V. Hyer purchased the home and sold it to Jesse B. Gary, a local farmer, in 1880. John Henry Gary, Sr. bought the property from his father in 1900 and moved the house 400 yards north of its original location to access a better water supply. The home remained in the Gary family until 1964.
The home was uninhabited for many years. It was moved to this site
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7742.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 27.588′ N, 95° 22.974′ W. Marker is in Lindale, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on U.S. 69 0.2 miles south of County Route 461, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lindale TX 75771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Damascus Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Whisenhunt-Kinzie House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hubbard Family Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); New Harmony Baptist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bethesda Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Wood-Verner Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lindale.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,152 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.