Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
of Federal soldiers
during the Civil War
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 16090.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 32° 23.819′ N, 95° 16.067′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on U.S. 271, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75708, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Ford (here, next to this marker); Camp Ford Stockade (within shouting distance of this marker); Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Ford Confederate Guards (about 300 feet away); Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp African Americans at Camp Ford (about 300 feet away); Camp Ford - Prisoners from Louisiana (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
More about this marker. This short historical marker is one of the original historical markers placed in Texas to celebrate the Texas Centennial in 1936.
Regarding Camp Ford. Camp Ford was the largest Confederate Prisoner of War Camp west of the Mississippi River during the American Civil War. Established in August of 1863, the camp was not closed until May 19, 1865. At its peak in July 1864, over 5,300 prisoners were detained there. (Smith County Historical Society)
Also see . . . 1936 Texas Centennial Markers. This site is a good resource site regarding the 1936 Texas Centennial historical markers. (Submitted on July 22, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas.)
Additional keywords. Texas Centennial marker
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 807 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. 3. submitted on September 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.