Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Clarkdale in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clarkdale Historic District

c. 1931

 
 
Clarkdale Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2010
1. Clarkdale Historic District Marker
Inscription.  Clarkdale is significant as an intact industrial village, locally called a mill village. Built according to a master plan for the employees of Clark Thread Company, it evolved into a self-contained community with commercial, social and recreational facilities onsite or nearby. The homes featured modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing. Automobile garages were added in 1935. While the company owned and maintained the houses, local businesses were privately owned and they thrived under the patronage of Clarkdale residents. After layoffs at the mill in the late 1950s-early 60s businesses started to close, eventually leaving only the post office and two churches. The company sold the houses in 1966 giving current residents the first option to buy them, and most took advantage of the opportunity.
 
Erected 2009 by Cobb County Community Development Agency.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 33° 49.9′ N, 84° 39.283′ 
Clarkdale Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2010
2. Clarkdale Historic District Marker
Looking south on Newark Avenue, with the former mill homes on the left
W. Marker is in Clarkdale, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Newark Avenue SW and Newark Street SW, on the right when traveling south on Newark Avenue SW. The marker stands near the entrance to the former Coats & Clark Mill property. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarkdale GA 30111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coats & Clark Thread Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarkdale Mill Village Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Causey - Maxham House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Sweet Water Town Site (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ross' Headquarters (approx. 3.7 miles away); “The Only Advantage of the Day” (approx. 4.2 miles away); 16th A.C. to Roswell (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkdale.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2020