Delavan in Walworth County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf
A petition for the establishment and maintenance of a school for deaf children was then sent to the State Legislature. On April 19, 1852, a bill was passed incorporating a school for the deaf to be located in Walworth County. Soon after, Franklin K. Phoenix, the son of one of the founders of Delavan, donated twelve acres of land to be used as the school site. The grounds are called “Phoenix Green” in his honor.
The school now comprises thirty-five acres of land and is supported by the State of Wisconsin. On October 20, 1962, dedication ceremonies were held for the Wisconsin Rehabilitation Center for the Deaf, also located on this site.
Erected 1969 by Junior National Association of the Deaf. (Marker Number 166.)
Topics and series.Education. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1847.
Location. 42° 37.984′ N, 88° 39.37′ W. Marker is in Delavan, Wisconsin, in Walworth County. Marker is at the intersection of West Walworth Avenue (State Highway 11) and Beloit Street (County Route X), on the right when traveling west on West Walworth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delavan WI 53115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of “The Greatest Show on Earth” (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Bruce (approx. 3.6 miles away); Darien Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); The 755th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron (approx. 6 miles away); The Webster House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Allen Family (approx. 6˝ miles away); Soldier of The American Revolution (approx. 7˝ miles away); Wisconsin's First 4-H Club (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.