East Hanover Township in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
and Continental Army encamped
here, 1777, and 1779 – 1780. Major
iron-producing center in the
nation during the 19th century.
Erected 1979 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1739.
Location. 40° 49.669′ N, 74° 20.115′ W. Marker is in East Hanover Township, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagle Rock Road and River Road, on the right when traveling west on Eagle Rock Road. Marker is on the west side of the bridge over the Passaic River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Hanover NJ 07936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halfway House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hanover Presbyterian Church & Unknown Continental Soldiers (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hanover Presbyterian ChurchThe First School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Parsonage (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Brick Store (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Burying Ground (approx. 3.2 miles away); First Fire House in Caldwell (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Hanover Township.
Also see . . . Morris County Heritage Commission. Morris County website entry (Submitted on July 23, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 819 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.