Near Laona in Forest County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Laona School Forest
Motivated by the suggestion of Dean H.L. Russell, of the College of Agriculture, University of Wisconsin, and by the encouragement of the Forest County land use planning committee, the people of this county adopted the idea of school forests to activate a reforestation program.
The Laona School Forest, consisting of 80 acres, was logged off in 1921-1922. In 1928, this area, like much of northern Wisconsin, was covered with blackened stumps left by previous fires and cuttings.
Today, this growing forest and others like it are living memorials to the interest and work of students and adults in many communities.
Erected 1975 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 207.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 22, 1914.
Location. 45° 32.885′ N, 88° 40.504′ W. Marker is near Laona, Wisconsin, in Forest County. Marker is on State Highway 32 0.1 miles south of Starks Settlement Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is at a highway pull-off within the Nicolet National Forest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laona WI 54541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Northern Highland (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Also see . . . School Forests: Their Origin in Wisconsin. (Submitted on July 25, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.