Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tyler Junior College
World War II stimulated several new programs at the college, but the greatest growth came in the post-war years. In 1945, voters established a new independent junior college district governed by a locally elected ten-member board of trustees. After a successful bond election, noted Tyler architect Shirley Simons designed a campus plan, which included the reuse of several surplus buildings from nearby Camp Fannin and the first new college facility, later named Jenkins Hall. A curriculum expansion accompanied the growth in facilities to offer a broader range of coursework to the students.
Seventy-five years after its establishment, Tyler Junior College encompasses a 78-acre campus with 30 buildings and eight residence halls. The district includes Tyler and surrounding communities, allowing the college's significant impact to extend beyond city boundaries into the East Texas
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12516.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 32° 20.017′ N, 95° 17.059′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from South Baxter Avenue north of East Fifth Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 E Fifth Street, Tyler TX 75701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Thomas R. Bonner / Texas In the Civil War 1861-1865 (approx. one mile away); Woman's Building (approx. one mile away); Ordnance Plant (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Connally Home (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ramey House (approx. 1.2 miles away); John B. & Ketura Douglas House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Confederate Arms Factory (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 25, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?