Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumming in Forsyth County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Forsyth County

 
 
Forsyth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
1. Forsyth County Marker
Inscription.  Forsyth County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee County. It was named for Gov. John Forsyth (1780-1841), a native of Frederick Co., Va., a graduate of Princeton, and gifted Georgia lawyer. He was Attorney-General of Ga., Congressman, Senator, Minister to Spain, Governor, and Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren. First officers of Forsyth County, commissioned April 20, 1833, were: John Blaylock, Clerk of Superior Court; Thomas Burford, County Surveyor; Alston B. Wilborn, Coroner. Hubbard Barker was commissioned Sheriff, January 31, 1834.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 058-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, the Former U.S. Presidents: #08 Martin Van Buren, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is January 31, 1884.
 
Location. 34° 12.391′ N, 84° 8.369′ W. Marker
Forsyth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
2. Forsyth County Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is in Cumming, Georgia, in Forsyth County. Marker is on Veterans Memorial Boulevard (Georgia Route 9) south of Main Street (Georgia Route 20), on the right when traveling south. The marker stands in front of the Forsyth County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Courthouse Square, Cumming GA 30040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel William Cumming (here, next to this marker); Lynching in America / Lynching in Forsyth County (within shouting distance of this marker); Forsyth County Courthouse Cornerstone Removed (within shouting distance of this marker); Forsyth County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumming School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumming Historic Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 5 miles away); Fowler Family Farm (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumming.
 
Forsyth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
3. Forsyth County Marker
Forsyth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
4. Forsyth County Marker
The courthouse is in the background
Forsyth County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
5. Forsyth County Courthouse
The first two Forsyth County courthouses were destroyed by fire, in 1900 and 1973. The present courthouse was built in 1977. The marker stands just to the right of the main entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,053 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Area photo of marker in its new location at Courthouse. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=33575

Paid Advertisement
May. 11, 2021