Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jalufka and his wife, Helen J., had this home built about 1905. Originally located at 1408 N. Mesquite Street, it was part of the neighborhood known as "Old Irishtown". They continued to live in the house until 1919, after which time it was used as rental property.
Pete and Minnie Lee Govatos, members of a family active in the city's Greek community since the 1920's, purchased the home from the Jalufkas in 1944. Residents of Corpus Christi since 1940, they operated a local restaurant and lived in the house until Minnie Lee's death in 1960.
The house changed ownership several times after the Govatos family sold it, and eventually it fell into disrepair. Acquired by the city in 1987, it was moved to Heritage Park and renovated on its new site.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 27° 48.357′ N, 97° 23.714′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Chaparral when traveling north. Marker and house are located at Heritage Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1513 North Chaparral Street, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merriman House (a few steps from this marker); Kovner-Bobys Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); McCampbell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Irishtown (within shouting distance of this marker); Grande-Grossman House (within shouting distance of this marker); French-Galvan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sidbury House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Julius Lichtenstein House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.