Bordentown in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Clara Barton School
One of the earliest free schools of New Jersey established 1852 by Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Clara Barton series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 40° 8.761′ N, 74° 42.324′ W. Marker is in Bordentown, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Crosswicks Street (County Route 528) and East Burlington Street, on the left when traveling west on Crosswicks Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bordentown NJ 08505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clara Barton (here, next to this marker); Borden's Towne (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richard Watson Gilder House (about 700 feet away); Dedicated to School No. 2 (about 800 feet away); Tower Clock (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Telephone made its Bordentown Debut in 1882 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bordentown Female CollegeBordentown (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bordentown.
Also see . . .
1. Clara Barton. New Jersey Women's History website entry:
Clara Barton (1821-1912) was born in North Oxford, Massachusetts, where she taught school as a young woman. In 1852 she traveled to Bordentown where she received the reluctant approval of the town school committee to open a free public school where she would teach. School attendance grew under her direction to include 600 by the end of the first year. (Submitted on July 26, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey.)
2. Clara Barton School. Library of Congress - Historic American Buildings Survey website entry (Submitted on July 26, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.