Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
American Exchange Bank
— Shipman —
Erected 1975 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 36.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. 43° 4.547′ N, 89° 22.97′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Avenue and North Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One North Pinckney Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition (a few steps from this marker); American House (within shouting distance of this marker); Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city (within shouting distance of this marker); Olson and Veerhusen Building / Hobbins Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Maeder Building / Ellsworth Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Winterbotham Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Belmont Hotel (about 400 feet away); Draper Brothers Block (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding American Exchange Bank. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This beautiful Italianate style building was designed by Madison architect Stephen Vaughn Shipman. Erected of local sandstone, it is one of the finest Italianate commercial buildings remaining in Madison. Built as the Park Savings Bank, the structure was originally several bays wider to the left. The left-hand section of the building was destroyed by fire long ago. In 1922 the American Exchange Bank moved into the corner part of the building. During World War I the old German-American Bank, located at the time in the Suhr Building, was renamed the American Exchange Bank, no doubt to eliminate any connotation of sympathy with
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for Madison sandstone buildings.
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,328 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.