Jamestown in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Jamestown Branch Jail
California’s gold country was in the midst of a second gold rush when the Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors approved construction of a Jamestown Branch Jail. It was designed by Sonora architect C.W. Ayers and built by A.S. Thomas for $1060.00, it was ready for its first inmate in January 1898 with Constable John W. “Jack” Leland in charge. The 400 square foot wood, concrete and brick building was used as a temporary detention facility until inmates could be taken to the county jail in Sonora or released after a night on the town. The Jamestown Branch Jail served the community until 1940 when all services were moved to Sonora. In 1964, R.W. Pollard purchased the building and moved it to Pollardville, his theme park near Stockton. When Pollardville was sold in 2007, the Jamestown Jail returned home 125 feet east of its original location. This historic building is owned by the people of Tuolumne County.
Erected 2008 by Matuca Chapter 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1898.
Location. 37° 57.218′ N, 120° 25.402′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker can be reached from Main Street near Seca Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker and jail building are located at Rocca Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown CA 95327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rocca Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Light District (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Ramirez – Preston Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Willow (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Emporium – 1897 (about 300 feet away); National Hotel (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Also see . . . The Tuolumne County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on July 27, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,197 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.