Jamestown in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Red Light District
The Red Light District
One of the original six
houses on Smoke Street
Erected 2002 by Anona Parlor No.164, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 37° 57.251′ N, 120° 25.409′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is on Smoke Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18266 Smoke Street, Jamestown CA 95327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jamestown Branch Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court (within shouting distance of this marker); The Willow (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocca Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jamestown 75 Pound Nugget (about 400 feet away); Ramirez – Preston Building (about 500 feet away); The Emporium – 1897 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Regarding Red Light District. Built in the early 1900’s this building was part of the “red light” district in Jamestown. The district was infamous throughout Tuolumne and neighboring counties through the 1940’s.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 787 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.