Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Philippi in Barbour County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Philippi

 
 
Philippi Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
1. Philippi Marker
Inscription.  Originally called Anglin's Ford for William Anglin but later named Booth's Ferry for Daniel Booth. Near by in 1780, Richard, Cottrill, and Charity Talbott settled. Philippi was named for Judge Philip Pendleton Barbour.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
 
Location. 39° 9.127′ N, 80° 2.354′ W. Marker is in Philippi, West Virginia, in Barbour County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 250) and Court Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Located beside the Barbour County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philippi WV 26416, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barbour County Korean War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Barbour County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Philippi (within shouting distance of this marker); Barbour County Vietnam Era Veterans Memorial (approx.
Philippi Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
2. Philippi Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Philippi (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Covered Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of the Sago Miners (approx. Ό mile away); a different marker also named Philippi (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philippi.
 
County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
3. County Courthouse
Philip Pendleton Barbour image. Click for full size.
Photographed By U.S. House of Representatives
4. Philip Pendleton Barbour
1911 portrait by Kate Flournoy Edwards after G. P. A. Healy.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on December 27, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=33702

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022